For further information on duration please see the Training Syllabus and contact your Trainer.
Other Relevant Courses
Find a Course / ExamView course syllabus
- BASIS Certificate in Crop Protection
- BASIS Professional Register
This course progresses the knowledge and skills of advisers working in amenity horticulture, ground-care and related industries, and promotes the protection and enhancement of biodiversity in Parkland and Amenity situations.
Since 2004, many people using or advising on pesticide use in agriculture have undertaken training and the linked examination to become BETA qualified. Following this lead, there have been requests for a BETA course and qualification specifically for the Amenity Horticulture and Ground-care sectors of pesticide users. The BETA Amenity Horticulture course is endorsed by the Amenity Forum and the organisations which are supporters of it, including the Voluntary Initiative (VI).
Weed control is a major part of many Amenity, Horticulture and Ground-care operations. In some situations, plant diseases and various insect pests can add to the problems which need to be dealt with. It is therefore most important that the actions employers and employees take will not only recognise the need for human safety, but also for the environmental safety of the area in which they work.
Who is this course for?
This course is for people employed in the Amenity Horticulture, Ground-care and related industries, as the use of pesticides in Parks, Golf Courses, Sports Turf, Horticulture, Hard Surface and other Amenity areas is a significant part of overall UK pesticide use. There is a wide scope for employers and employees to improve their knowledge of environmental management and help improve the biodiversity of the amenity landscape.
The BETA Amenity Horticulture course and examination is 2 ½ days in total and is specifically put together for:
- Parks and sports ground managers
- Golf course managers
- Contract specifiers and managers
- Horticultural enterprise managers
- Local authority amenity managers
- Supervisors / managers responsible for pesticide application
The BETA course is designed to complement and add to the knowledge of those who already hold either the BASIS Field, Sales and Technical Staff qualification, the Amenity Pest Management certificate or the POWER Certificate.
- Achievement of the BETA Amenity Horticulture qualification does not qualify the holder of the Certificate to spray pesticides, but it will create greater understanding of the implications of using pesticides and the need to protect our environment
- Protecting Biodiversity in Amenity Horticulture Areas
- Environmental Information Sheets
- Water Management
- Amenity Horticulture Management Plan for Pesticide Use
- The course is applicable to many other people who may not be BASIS qualified but who none the less, may have other qualifications which are suitable for entry to the BETA Amenity Horticulture course. Please check with Sue Mason at BASIS for other qualifying routes to this course and qualification
Course Quick Link