FACTS Qualified Annual Assessment
Nutrient Management Planning (NMP) Training was originally set up to bring all FQAs to one unified professional standard and to introduce new concepts not covered within the FACTS Syllabus.
Following consultation with the FQA Membership it has been agreed that NMP required simplifying and modernising to realign with industry requirements. Therefore, NMP CPD Training and its accompanying Online Assessment will no longer be a requirement to retain FQA Status. In its place it has been agreed that FQAs will be expected to pass the FQA Annual Assessment based on a relevant theme.
There will be a continual review and agreement of the next three years’ themes by the FACTS Advisory Committee and these will be circulated to FQAs in order for them to plan ahead. Candidates passing the FACTS Exam will also be informed of the new themes and requirements to retain their FQA Status in the future.
The Advanced NMP Exam will continue to be delivered by BASIS Approved Trainers and will remain as an Advanced Module towards the BASIS Diploma in Agronomy.
From the 1 June 2018 the following changes will be implemented:
- All FQAs will be expected to complete an annual Online Assessment on a theme decided by the FACTS Advisory Committee starting 01 June 2018 – 31 May 2019.
- Appropriate themes will be tailored for Agriculture, Horticulture and Sports Turf FQAs
- All FQA’s will continue to be expected to meet their annual CPD requirement.
Themes agreed for FQA Annual Assessment (Agric):
- 01 June 2018 – 31 May 2019 – Use of RB209
- 01 June 2019 – 31 May 2020 – Best Practice in managing nitrogen (mineral and organic) to reduce emissions with a focus on N2O and NH3 and including carbon foot printing
- 01 June 2020 – 31 May 2021 – Ways of improving fertiliser (mineral and organic), application accuracy
Further details of the FQA Annual Assessment themes will be released shortly.
What does all this mean for me?
BASIS Approved Trainers
- BASIS Approved Trainers and In-house Trainers can provide training to prepare FQAs for their annual assessment; however, candidates may choose how they gain their knowledge, e.g. face to face, Online, etc.
- CPD points will continue to be awarded in the normal way for registered training.
Newly qualified FQAs
- All candidates who became FQAs by attaining their FACTS Certificate and those who took NMP CPD Training and Online Assessment, in the period 01 June 2017 – 31 May 2018 will not be required to take any additional training or an Online Assessment during the first year, however, this will be a requirement in the period 01 June 2019 – 31 May 2020.
- All current FQAs qualifying before 1 June 2017 are required to gain the relevant knowledge and pass the Online Assessment during the first year (18/19).
- For the first year the cost of the Online Assessment will be met by BASIS.
- From 01 June 2019 the cost of the Online Assessment will, following consultation with the FACTS Advisory Committee, be included within the Professional Register membership fee for FQAs.
Retaining your FQA status:
- FQAs will receive automatic notification of their result on taking the Online Assessment and their FQA Status will be automatically upgraded for the following Professional Register Year.
- FQAs will be granted two attempts at the Online Assessment. A further attempt will be charged.
What if I am unable to complete the assessment within the timeframe?
- Providing your Professional Register Membership is current and up to date, should you have missed the deadline date to take your Online Assessment you will be required to pay a fee to gain access to any previously outstanding, and current assessments, to retain your FQA Status.