Since it was established in 1978, BASIS has proved to be a rigorous and highly effective industry self-regulation scheme.
- The majority of distributors of professional pesticides are
registered with BASIS and most consistently reach the required standard,
year after year.
- Being registered provides company directors, local authorities and contractors with peace of mind.
- The annual independent assessment of staff and stores is a
comprehensive check that legal obligations on storage, transport and
advice are being met so minimising the risk of possible prosecution.
- The registration scheme also clearly demonstrates to regulators and
other stakeholders, as well as the wider public, that the pesticide
industry takes its responsibilities to people and the environment very
- The growing range of BASIS qualifications has allowed people in the
industry to develop their skills and demonstrate their professionalism.
- BASIS standards have been adopted by key organisations such as the
Environment Agencies, County Councils, supermarkets, crop assurance
schemes and farmers.
- Over 4,000 people have become members of the BASIS Professional
Register and BASIS PROMPT. All these individuals have made a commitment
to Continuing Professional Development so helping to raise professional